Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Will Smith is remaking 'Annie'

My mom was a big fan of musicals. Dad had westerns; mom had musicals. Think Sound of Music, Paint Your Wagon, Oklahoma, West Side Story. When we bought our laser disc player, she played these and anything from Leonard & Bernstein in a seemingly endless loop. The only one I could stomach was Annie.

Now Will Smith wants to ruin my childhood.

Okay, maybe that's not fair, but I'm not too hopeful.

Smith, through his production house Overbrook Entertainment, is remaking Annie for--wait for it--his 9-year-old daughter, Willow. She will play Annie. She of Whip My Hair fame.

Jay-Z, who produced Willow's single, will be involved in the music for the film. Clearly, I think this means It's a Hard Knock Life will sound a bit different. Maybe more like this?

I am not hopeful.