Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Couple of Weird Stories

There are a couple of bizarre entertainment stories making the rounds:
  • Actress with Down's Syndrome proves to be more logical and reasonable than Sarah Palin. Last Sunday's episode of "Family Guy" featured the voice of Andrea Fay Friedman, an actress with Down's Syndrome who has a career going back to 1992 as a regular on "Life Goes On." In the episode, Friedman's character says her mom was "governor of Alaska." Palin, of course, in her usual indignant, hypocritical, knee-jerk way called out the  show as being insensitive and said the reference was like "a kick to the gut."
Friedman is telling Palin to lighten up. She thought the line was funny and had fun playing the role. The best bit from Friedman's statement though:

"In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes."

Amen, sister!
  • William Shatner cast to say "Shit." Seriously. The Emmy-winner (for Denny Crane in "Boston Legal"--wow, I miss that show) has won the role of the dad in the TV series based on the Twitter phenom Shit My Dad Says. The show will follow the life of a 29-year-old forced to move back home with his 70-something dad who has a penchant for swearing and telling it as he sees it. 
While I'm sure the show will end up just like every other mostly-unfunny sitcom on TV today, the casting of Captain Kirk will mean I'll at least give it a chance.